Astralis Frontier
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Switch Accounts
Switch Accounts

Discord Server

friends in low places | priv for vanillatuft + tansypaw

Go down

friends in low places | priv for vanillatuft + tansypaw Empty friends in low places | priv for vanillatuft + tansypaw

Post by .:vanillatuft:. on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:40 pm

VANILLATUFT
windclan - medicine cat - female - 22 moons - tags

a large leaf was folded in her jaws, filled with different herbs from poppy seeds to blackberries to comfrey root. the white furred molly padded quietly along, her eyes flickering around as she walked to see if there were any other herbs nearby that she would be able to fit in the leaf. she thought the leaf was getting pretty full though, so she may want to stop - but she wouldn't. she would push the leaf to the limit with how many things it could carry.

the deaf meddie had walked out past windclan territory, and had found herself at fourtrees, the gathering spot. there wasn't an issue being here; the site was open to anyone and sometimes she was able to find some good herbs growing in unexpected places! she had found a ton of chamomile last time she was here, so she was hoping she would find something of the sort again. her sapphire eyes glanced around for any herbs or anything out of the ordinary, gripping the leaf tightly in her maw so she wouldn't drop everything she was carrying. she flicked an ear, going to move forward when she stopped dead in her tracks with one paw still in the air. she froze like a deer. she swore she felt a vibration on the ground. was someone else here? she probably should've left camp with someone. nobody would hurt a medic though, right? she wasn't trespassing or anything, she was simply at fourtrees. slowly, she put her paw back on the ground, the short femme swiveling her head cautiously to see if she could find anyone since she wouldn't be able to hear them, merely feel their movement.

[sorry for short post, wasn't sure how to start it! i didn't;t realize they lived on opposite sides so i went with fourtrees as a meeting spot]

"speech."
.:vanillatuft:.

View user profile

ghost likes this post

Back to top Go down

friends in low places | priv for vanillatuft + tansypaw Empty Re: friends in low places | priv for vanillatuft + tansypaw

Post by ghost on Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:09 pm

TANSYPAW
shadowclan apprentice | torbie | dsh | tags

With every day of her apprenticeship, the world feels a little less overlarge. The thought of crossing paths with an aggressive badger is still enough to make the fur along her spine rise, but slowly, curiosity chips away at fear. Nothing bad has happened during any of her outings thus far, and Tansypaw could conclude that nothing bad would continue to happen. The marsh wasn't exactly safe, but it wasn't as filled with waiting teeth as Tansypaw had initially assumed.

Which leads her to today.

Assigned to a hunting patrol, all of whom Tansypaw hasn't seen for quite some time. They were supposed to all meet back up once the sun reached a certain point in the sky, but that moment has passed. Did Tansypaw stray to far in her attempt at catching something? Did the patrol decide to leave without her? Did they hate her? Did-

Tansypaw's thoughts continue in a rather predictable manner from then on out, a persistent self doubt and anxiety that rises in her chest until it reaches a breaking point, until it goes so high that quite suddenly it is gone, and Tansypaw is left laughing. She hasn't a clue on how to get back to camp, but it seems no one is going to come to her aid. Or perhaps it is that they have already tried and failed? Whatever the reason may be, Tansypaw needs to do something beyond sit and fret herself into hysterics.

She crawls her way out of the crook of a tree's roots where she had been hiding, and sets out to walking, uncertain if she is going in the right direction. Everything looks the same, and Tansypaw is uncertain if she is even making in progress or if she is merely walking in circles, until she is faced with a slope heading down into a clearing. StarClan, Fourtrees?

Tansypaw is ready to turn back, when a flash of white catches her vision. Seems she isn't alone here. She's never met anyone who wasn't a ShadowClanner. Was this... a loner? Someone from one of the other clans? Cautiously, she enters the clearing, her furtive steps small. This cat doesn't seem dangerous, but Tansypaw is aware of just how quickly that could change. Still, she doesn't exactly have options.

Excuse me!” Tansypaw calls as she approaches, tail raised to try and make herself appear a little more friendly. She circles around the stranger, so that Tansypaw could see her face, "Uh, hello..." She's prettier than Tansypaw thought she would be, "You're uh, ah... Well," Struck with a sudden shyness, Tansypaw diverts her attention to her paws for a moment, then, remembering her situation, squares herself and returns her gaze to the stranger.

"It's- I'm lost. I was hunting but my patrol left me behind and I don't know the way back and uh," Her training in the dark forest has taught her that she shouldn't be showing any vulnerabilities. How can she do that and ask for help? "But don't be confused! I'm a warrior and my name is Tansy... uh, Tansyfluff-" StarClan, "And I can still defend myself if you try and hurt me, but I was hoping that you wouldn't... do that. And that instead you might know the way home?"

View user profile

Back to top Go down

friends in low places | priv for vanillatuft + tansypaw Empty Re: friends in low places | priv for vanillatuft + tansypaw

Post by .:vanillatuft:. on Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:54 pm

VANILLATUFT

vanillatuft had swiveled her head side to side a few times to check the clearing before she finally figured out that the paw step vibrations were coming from her right, and she could focus on that side. and surely enough, a small tortoiseshell molly was stepping out with her tail high, bounding towards her. why was she so eager to approach? she didn't recognize this cat - perhaps it was from another clan or a loner. but still, if it was from another clan, why was it so friendly? definitely an apprentice. she flicked an ear as the molly approached. she felt cautious, just because she didn't know her, but the molly wasn't much bigger than vanillatuft was. given, vanillatuft was a smaller molly and the size of an old apprentice, but still.

she could read the lips as she approached that the molly was greeting her, and she responded with a dip of her head; but immediately she knew that this apprentice or loner did not know who she was. well, she was from a different clan, so it wasn't expected; but most clan cats knew of the high positions of the other clans at least, and vanillatuft liked to think she was pretty well-known since she was one of the first deaf cats who had lived past kithood within the clans. maybe she was just full of herself, though. but this apprentice - or loner - was awfully chatty, which gave the impression she had no clue vanillatuft was deaf.

as the molly got close enough that she was now standing still to talk to the medic, she could smell the dastardly scent of shadowclan. vanillatuft personally did not like the smell of shadowclan, which is how she was able to recognize them so quickly.

the tortoiseshell across from her was babbling, she could tell. at a very high rate. it was overwhelming for vanillatuft, because she was having trouble keeping up with what she was saying. mostly because the molly was stumbling over her words too which made it harder for her to lipread. oh, man. she really regretted not bringing an interpreter with her, a clanmate, to stick up for her and point out vanillatuft was deaf so stop bothering her.

hunting patrol. left behind. warrior. tansy. defend herself. way home. there were so many different things spewing out of this person's mouth. she honestly wasn't sure what her name even was. she saw her say tansy, but..she felt like she had misread because she swore she said tansyfluff. that had to have been a mistake on vanillatuft's end though.

she breathed in a long sigh, before pointing her tail in the direction where tansypaw would have to go, and then taking out a paw and unsheathing a singular claw to point. she pushed her paw forward, signaling straight, and then swerved it to the left, go left, and then lifted it, should be a big rock, and flipped her paw upside down clearing. she gave her a nod to let her know that the clearing would be her camp and that was the end of her directions.

oh. thats right. she was from another clan...she wouldn't know vanillatuft's sign languages. if she tried hard then sure she could probably figure it out, but she didn't want to boggle this girl's mind and keep her waiting. this was awkward.

she lowered her leaf of herbs to the ground, inwardly wincing as she let go and the leaf tumbled open, all the berries and seeds she had collected tumbling out. that would take a while for her to pick back up.. "hi, tansy." she blurted out quick as a mini greeted, "i am vanillatuft. deaf." she said, a little loud, as she couldn't hear her voice. she flattened her ears in a bit of what could be embarrassment as she tried to explain herself and why she was so..odd in trying to point this apprentice in her direction. she wondered if it would be easier to just walk her back home, or at least onto her territory. "straight, left, past big rock, clearing there." she waited a few moments to see her reaction, to figure out if she would need to actually walk her home. tansypaw was lucky that she had run into vanillatuft, a nice molly, and not someone else who would've played around with her. "okay?" she asked as a confirmation.

「 you can borrow some of mine! 」

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:22 pm

TANSYPAW

When the stranger points, Tansypaw follows the direction with her eyes, turning her head to try and discern what it is exactly that the stranger is referring to. When her attention returns to the stranger, she is doing an awful lot of things with her paws. Should Tansypaw know what any of this means? Tansypaw recalls some basic commands that can be given with one's tail in a time when one is supposed to be silent, but none of what she knows can translate into what the stranger is doing.

When she finally does speak, Tansypaw startles, then indigently corrects, ”Tansypaw,” then, remembering her lie, ”No, no wait, Tansyfur-fluff!” But then she goes on to introduce herself, Vanillatuft, who is deaf. Tansypaw nods along with all of the wisdom of an elder.

She has no idea what that means.

Right right right. Deaf. That's...” Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Is it a neutral thing? ”It really is something. Being deaf is.” Tansypaw gives one last sage nod. The explanation Vanillatuft gives is rather... bare bones. ”I go... straight, then left-my left or your left?- then past a big rock, and then...” Then. There had been something at the end, right? ”Then I'm home?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by .:vanillatuft:. on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:12 pm

VANILLATUFT

oh, bother. she can immediately tell that this molly - this apprentice, who tried to say she was a warrior - did not understand her directions at all. and also, based on the look on her face and how she keeps agreeing with her deafness yet continues to stumble around on her words - she realizes this apprentice also has no clue what being deaf means. she let out another little sigh, giving a glance at her herb pile on the ground. she didn't want to just leave it here, because what if someone came and took it? or a fox or a raccoon or something came by and started eating the berries of the pile?

but she knew that if she continued to try to explain to tansypaw how to get home, she would be here until next moon just talking with her. unfortunately, she would have to walk the molly home. she certainly didn't want to drag all her herbs along with her, though; it would be better to just leave them here then come back to get them. she thought a few moments, trying to figure out what to do with the herbs as tansypaw continues to rattle on about which way she could go, before the short white molly turns to walk towards her, closing the gap between them.

and whenever she reaches the apprentice, she uses her tail to drape over her shoulders and turn her around, pointing her in the direction they would be going. and then she announces with a bit of a sigh - sounding like someone who was most definitely about to lose their cool, but trying to hold it in - "follow me."

she begins walking, giving a brief glance to see if tansypaw is following, and when the apprentices is alongside her, vanillatuft continues. "i walk you back." she flicked an ear, before continuing, "deaf means i can not hear." if the apprentice did not understand that, then well - there was simply nothing else that she could do at that point. this apprentice was just..helpless, at that point.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost on Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:27 pm

TANSYPAW

Oh StarClan, did Vanillatuft not like her? Could she tell that Tansypaw was lying? Was Tansypaw doing something wrong? The panic makes something in her edge onto desperation, the sigh standing out in her mind like a weed in a field of flowers. (a part of her wonders this: why does she care so deeply? she hadn't known vanillatuft for long, she could have easily gone her whole life without knowing her. tansypaw shouldn't care, and she shouldn't care with such an intensity.) ”No! No, you don't want to show me, you don't have to!

She shifts in place, torn between crowding against Vanillatuft and putting as much distance between herself and the medicine cat as possible. Tansypaw could find her own way home eventually, she shouldn't have even asked. Vanillatuft seems set on bringing Tansypaw home, however, and Vanillatuft's backwards glance prompts Tansypaw into a trot, catching up with her. When she explains what deaf means, Tansypaw's already warm ears burn with embarrassment.

Tansypaw hadn't known it was possible to not hear. Could one also not see? Or smell? Vanillatuft obviously had a way of understanding what Tansypaw was saying, but how exactly Tansypaw couldn't guess. Maybe not everything she's been saying. Tansypaw recalls Vanillatuft calling her Tansy, and her ears fold against her neck. ”Is that...” Despite everything, she wants to ask.

Her eyes lock onto Vanillatuft, trying to gauge if Vanillatuft is going to hate Tansypaw if she continues, ”Is that what you were doing with your paws earlier? Trying to talk to me?” Tansypaw mimics what she could remember from it, swerving her paw leftward, then turning it upside down. Did that mean anything? It felt like it did.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by .:vanillatuft:. on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:47 pm

VANILLATUFT

okay, thank starclan! she's thinking the apprentice understands what deaf means now, so they don't have to keep going over this. she knows that tansypaw will probably have a ton of questions now, because - who wouldn't? its quite an odd concept, and if you're not deaf yourself, its interesting to hear about and learn about other people's problems. she doesn't blame the apprentice for all the questions that may come out of her mouth on this journey, so she looked over at tansypaw, ready to read her mouth for what was about to come. she flicked an ear as the apprentice starts off with her questions. the first had to do with the paw movements.

immediately, vanillatuft lets out a trill of laughter. she can't stay irritated at anyone honestly, she just doesnt have it in her body. she is naturally a nice cat; sometimes she just gets overwhelmed, as anyone in her shoes probably would. she nodded to answer tansypaw's question."motion language," she said loudly, "easier than lip-reading." she doesn't feel like explaining it, unless tansypaw asks then she will, but signing is just so much easier because she can fully understand the other person that way rather than having to pretty much guess what they are saying. and then she watches as tansypaw tries to redo some of the movements that vanillatuft had done, and she laughs again. funny kid. she had the right idea, but what she was doing was sloppy. "left," she tells tansypaw, repeating the movement what she had just done, and then flipped her paw upside down to continue, moving it in sort of a circular motion, "clearing, area." it was a lot to grasp, but it wasn't impossible to learn. batfang and mercybloom had picked up on it all within three moons.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghost on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:04 pm

TANSYPAW

She watches with a quiet fascination as Vanillatuft explains the meanings behind the motions. Vanillatuft is smoother in her motions than Tansypaw's unpracticed imitation, and Tansypaw wonders if this will ever be something that she does understand fully and, if it is, if she would ever have the dexterity to use those same motions in turn. As she walks, her paws flex into the mud, eager to practice what she had just seen so that she doesn't forget it. She tells herself that she'll remember the motions even when she gets back to camp, but knows in her chest that thought is false.

My name is actually Tansypaw,” She admits suddenly, careful to not look away from Vanillatuft as shame bids her to do, ”I'm just an apprentice. I'm sorry I lied, I didn't know if you would be nice or not,” The farther they've walked, the more familiar everything starts to look. ”But you are nice. I shouldn't have lied.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by .:vanillatuft:. on Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:54 pm

VANILLATUFT

vanillatuft flicks an ear as tansypaw says she is merely an apprentice, and she lets out another small mrrow of laughter. it takes everything in her to remind herself not to motion, but instead to talk and lipread. she is just so used to motioning and sign language that she always forgets that not everyone else knows it and that its a hard concept to grasp. "i know," she told her. she could tell she was an apprentice. she wasn't very large - vanillatuft was small for a warrior since she was part munchkin, but this apprentice was still closer to her size than how vanillatuft knew a normal warrior was supposed to look. "i forgive you." she added, knowing that apprentices always needed to be told that their actions were okay and they could move on. she knew as an apprentice she always found herself dwelling on things unless she was told her actions were forgiven and everything was okay.

she flicked her tail gratefully when she noticed the apprentice called her nice. well, she couldn't let the compliment game end, could she? she would of course compliment her back. "you're funny," she told her positively, hoping that tansypaw understood that she meant it in a positive way and not negatively. "beauty too. you'll be good warrior." she offered her a smile, hoping that all this made the apprentice feel a bit better about herself and maybe not so down in the dumps or shameful. "everyone has mistakes."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum